Return to the Time of Troubles
Children of Stone
Dwarves have a legend of their ancestry being born of the very stone of Toril itself. The Children of Stone were the first of the Dwarves to walk the land and they know how true that legend is. While not made of stone themselves they have a deep affinity for it.
- +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +4 Wisdom
- Medium size.
- Base land speed 20. However a Child of Stone’s base speed isn’t decrease by armor or load they carry.
- The average lifespan of a Child of Stone is 1,000 years and they suffer none of the effects of ageing.
- Excellent Darkvision: The Children of Stone have excellent darkvision and see up to 120 feet in darkness.
- Perfect Direction: So long as his feet are planted firmly on the ground a Child of Stone cannot get lost. They always know the direct of magnetic north and the spot from where they were born.
- Stone Stasis: A Child of Stone can use Meld into Stone(see spell-like abilities) and place themselves into a stasis. With this use they can stay melded with the stone indefinitely and require no food or water. It takes a full round action to perform the Stasis. This puts them into a deep sleep in which they are unaware of anything happening around them. If the stone they are melded into takes damage a Child of Stone takes damage equal to any suffered by that stone. They can make a DC 20 Will check adding the amount of damage to their base will save to awaken from stasis.
- Awaken Stone: This ability grants the Children of Stone two benefits. First it can be used to awaken any other Child of Stone from Stone Stasis. The second is as long as he doesn’t already have one a Child of Stone once per week can create a Rock Hound (Small Earth Elemental Lawful Neutral Int 3). The duration is permanent, but under normal circumstances the elemental can not be healed.
- If the Child of stone is of a class that has a familiar or companion the Rock Hound can be used instead. It may then be healed by focusing the healing spell through the Child of Stone. The Child of Stone must will the healing though his link to pass to his Rock Hound rather than accept it for himself. A DC 15 concentration check under duress(such as in combat) and can provoke an attack of opportunity as his attention is diverted inward. This also means if the Child of Stone is unconscious then he cannot will the healing to his Rock Hound. If the Child of Stone has access to any healing through class abilities that healing maybe used without the concentration check as a standard action and does not provoke an attack of opportunity. All rules for loosing a familiar or companion apply. When they “die” they return to the Elemental Plane.
- The Child of Stone with the Improved Familiar or Exalted Companion feats may have a Greater Rock Hound companion (Medium Earth Elemental Lawful Neutral).
- Stonecunning: +4 racial bonus to search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like.
- Stability: A Child of Stone gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Immune to poison and disease.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a the Child of Stone loses her Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- -5 to all swim checks
- Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven, and Earth Elemental(Understand only). Bonus Languages: Any
- Spell-Like Abilities: As a Standard Action a Child of Stone can use Meld into Stone at will. A Child of Stone can use the following spell-like abilities once per day. Darkness and Endure Elements. Caster level equal to the Child of Stone’s class level.
- Favored Class: Fighter or Cleric
- There are a few changes from the Earth Elementals because these are a special Elemental.
- Intelligence is 3 (animal)
- Instead of a slam attack they get a claw attack(damage down 1 dice Small 1d4+str and Medium 1d6+str).
- Instead of Power Attack they get Sent(Tracking as per wolf/dire wolf) and Improve Trip instead of Cleave(Medium only).
- Gain the skill Survival (because of tracking) at +1 and +2 respectively. Additional +4(for a total 5/6) when tracking by sent.
- Intelligence is 3 (animal)